Sunday, April 23, 2006

Jeeez... Am I that good??

Just a few minutes ago, some girl asked me about crystallization of salt. How many moles of water is in the crystallized form of CaSO4? I mean, I haven't done chemistry for 5 years. But why was I able to solve it? It's all thinking. People NEED TO THINK! She told me that she read the formula in the book and didn't understand what to do. Man, that just pisses me off. Why do we need formulas in the books. We live in this ridiculous culture of education. The teachers teach you something, show you the example, then you follow the exact same way to solve the problems that they assign you. What have you learnt in the end? TO FOLLOW EXAMPLES!! I am not saying that's a bad thing, but people should really think about how to solve the problem before reading the example. In real life, usually, when you face a problem, there isn't going to be a textbook for you to look at the examples, and by following steps 1,2,3 and 4, problem solved! That's just absurd. There's no handbook to life. You've gotta figure everything out for yourself.

So how do you solve the abovementioned question? Think mols. I mean someone who asked that question should at least know what a mole is. So guess what, I asked her what a mole is, and she gave me all that crap definition about the Avogadro number and all that crap. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. What is your idea of a mole? Most people's mind just jump to, Avogadro number... Avogadro number... NO, YOU FREAKING ZOMBIES!! A mole is THE AMOUNT OF SUBSTANCE... gosh... My dad always told me that the most important part of the definition of something is always after the word "IS". So there you go, AMOUNT OF SUBSTANCE. So in order to solve that previous question, you figure out the amount of moles of CaSO4 you have, and that's precisely the amount of crystallized CaSO4 you have. Why? Because the amount of CaSO4 in CaSO4 did not change, since of course, we assume there is sufficient water to crystallize all of the calcium sulphate. So by figuring out the amount of moles of CaSO4.xH20, we can easily figure out what x is via the ever famous ratio of mass and molecular mass. Despite not doing chemistry for 5 years, I was still able to solve this problem, all through deduction, that the amount of moles of CaSO4 cannot change.

My critical thinking skills amaze myself sometimes... If you want to survive in this world, stop depending on your textbooks, coz you ain't getting any help in the real world.

1 comment:

  1. u should have been my chem tutor! this part abt blahblah.xH2O i have never understood. goodness.

    im going for law interview soon!

    ReplyDelete