Thursday, March 20, 2008

Juno

Many of you may have already watched Juno and most probably loved the movie. While it is only obvious that I loved the movie very much, what I would like to talk about today extends beyond an appreciation of what is one of the wittiest films I've ever seen.

I am by no means a hardcore movie critic and will never pretend to become one. After all, being a professional movie critic just means that you would be jobless, if not for your "great" ability to talk about movies. My goal today is also not to talk about the movie, but about Juno MacGuff. There is a secondary goal to this post, but I shall explain later.

If you haven't seen Juno, let me give you a brief introduction to our protagonist today. Juno is better known as the bored and consequently pregnant 16 year-old who searches for the "perfect" couple to adopt her baby after it is born. In her journey, she is confronted with what was under-exaggeratedly portrayed mature decisions while ultimately and obviously altered the course of her life completely. However, among all the qualities that can easily be observed in the movie, the best thing that I love about Juno MacGuff is her witty sarcasm.


"
Juno?"
"No. It's Morgan Freeman."

But now I shall venture onto a path that has long been left behind; a discussion about looks. There will be at least once in your lifetime, if you're a guy, even if you're a girl, it is possible, that all you could think about are hot girls. Sexy, beautiful women, big kahunas, long legs, Asian-soft skin, or whatever it is you prefer. If you're a girl, and you cannot imagine what the heck I am talking about, maybe Brad Pitt, or for those of you younger girls, Orlando Bloom, or those of you who prefer Asian men, Wu Zhun, can help you clarify this idea.

So why am I bringing this up? It may seem obvious that Juno is not the sexiest woman/girl alive, or the most beautiful by any means. But there is this attractive aura about her that I just can't help but love. All you have to do is look at the picture on the right and it is clear that she seems like your Average Jane. To me, that is the cool part about Juno. The sweet innocent eyes, the lack of the need to look beautiful to society, doing whatever she wants, saying whatever she wants, being whoever she wants. This is not about Ellen Page. This post is about why I love Juno MacGuff. The slightly messy hair, absence of make-up (or apparently so), and not having to put on fancy clothes to please the world. All this because she is happy to be who she is. I love that she filled Bleaker's mailbox with Orange Tic Tac, I love how she walks around with that big belly, absorbing the stares without a care in the world. Once she decided to have the baby, she was determined to see it through, regardless of what she might face along the way.

In many ways, this reminds me of myself. Maybe some of you may contend that I am not as witty as she is or whatever it is, but I feel like I can really relate to Juno MacGuff because that is pretty much who I am. This part about me may seem obvious to you people who have known me for a long time, or who have suffered from your acquaintance with me. I doubt there is really much more to this about me. I like being simple, yet I know I am not. But one thing is for sure, I like to be happy and I do what makes me happy. And that is why I love Juno MacGuff.

I did not forget the 2nd objective of this post. I mentioned I will talk about this later and I am going to do that right about now. If you have been an ardent reader of my ever-meaningful blog, you will know that I have never posted any beautiful pictures, in fact, I have never posted any pictures with my blog (I hate it when people call their blog "useless ramblings"and feel that they do not deserve to be read. At the same time, they are ever so dying to let other people read it. How useless!?) So my secondary goal today is to post some beautiful pictures to decorate my blog, seeing that I have never done it, and also to show that I am not all talk (or type), but I do believe in the appreciation of graphical representations as well, and in today's case, simplistic beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment