Friday, March 21, 2008

I Hate The French

OMG... I hate the French. I've always wondered why they call it the French Defense. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, the French Defense is a chess opening that is usually passive with the strategic aim of sitting back while waiting for the opponents to over-extend themselves and awaiting the opportune moment to strike back. Sounds kinda sneaky, like Jack Sparrow.

Nevertheless, ever since I quit playing serious chess, I have forgotten how much I hated the French until recently. I have added the Facebook Chess Application and have been playing "correspondence" chess since then. I call it correspondence chess because there is almost no time limit to make your move, and you basically have free reign on who or what you want to consult over your moves. In real chess tournaments, this is not allowed. As an aside, I have played some pretty cool games and managed a decent record of 12 wins, 1 draw and no losses. However, the point I would like to bring up today is that among all the games I have played, I have encountered the French Defense at least 4 times and I am now being reminded of how much I hate it. There seems very little possibility to seize an advantage in the early game if your opponent plays correctly. So that's why I have decided to play 1. d4 for the time being to avoid these ridiculous encounters that simply pisses me off. If you have a way of killing the French Defense, or know an Anti-French System, please, I beg you, let me know about it!

4 comments:

  1. hi,
    "a chess opening that is usually passive with the strategic aim of sitting back while waiting for the opponents to over-extend themselves"

    I don't understand this, thats not at all what the french is about. The french is about tempting white into closing the centre with a e5 (by putting pressure on e4), and then attacking the closed centre with a flank attack (which as you know is only justified when ther centre is closed). In general Black attacks on the queen side, white on the king side. Of course you can not just win with a trick, its a solid defense that is played on all levels.

    I do love the fact you play d4 now since you don't like the french :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo uncle,

    Maybe try king's indian attack? I know it doesn't give white advantage, but it sure is a lot more fun. Most French player will probably not be prepared for it too, although it might be different in correspondance chess. I know cause i have been playing French for the last 4 years and i only met it once, and that game didnt go well..

    Or maybe the Milner-barry attack. Sack a pawn but have good initiative and is sound. Met that once too and that didnt go well either.. Force me to remember quite a bit of analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @themuppeteer

    Even you yourself said that it's a solid defense. I think that's what I meant in your quote. I was exaggerating when I said they are sitting back and doing nothing. No openings have the aims of not doing anything, except maybe the Hedgehog. But examples that come to mind are the Winawer Variation where White plays Qg4 and subsequently Qxg7. That's the kind of thing that I was thinking about when I said "over-extend". You are right about the idea of the French. I guess I should have been more technical and accurate than I was.

    Well, thanks for your feedback, and by the way, do I know you?

    @tomin

    It's great to hear from you. I will consider KIA. It has it's practical uses in a rapid game, but as you mentioned, correspondence chess is a little different.

    Thanks Tomin. How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to bad.
    Its holiday for me now so i'm just preparing for my exam, looking for job, exercise, eat, sleep...etc

    ReplyDelete