Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Too Fast Too Furious

Immediately our mind races over to the engine throttles and the smooth gear shifts as well as the breakneck speed or the weak drifting, depending on which movie you watched. However, recently, I have discovered something that goes even faster than the nitro-charged street-cars (barring planes and shit), that is, my haste.

Time and again I have failed to think before I speak. Often times, I hurt people and sometimes I infuriate them without realizing what I have done, and what is ultimately worse, without intension. For the better (in terms of length and quality) of my life, I strive to think before I speak. Or so I think. Several events of late have in some sense, humbled me, and in a larger sense kick-started a process of self-reflection and transformation.

Without going into detail, I feel that I have been very careless with the way I speak to people. My sense of humor, albeit sensational (self-praise is no praise), is usually derived at the expense of a certain someone and in most cases, towards the person I am speaking to. Now that I have thought about it more carefully, some of those people must have felt hurt or angry because of my nonchalant comments. In the past, I have always disregarded the feelings of others, mainly because I was ignorant, but also because I couldn't be bothered. Furthermore, I excuse myself by thinking that some people just can't take jokes.

Fortunately, I am an advocate of personal change. For too long I have hurt people without caring. For too long I have let my speech exceed the speed limit, and what's ultimately worse, for too long I have pissed people off without realizing or intending to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment