Thursday, July 7, 2005

Life... Oh Life...

Things have been going on amazingly well for me this summer break. I have a wonderful girlfriend and I am working on a very relaxed schedule. This allows me to spend maximum time with Baby and also gives me a sufficient amount of stipend to survive over the summer. The remainder of the money I earn, I get to bring to the US, which will only mean my money will become quartered by the exchange rate. How horrible!

Anyways, I have been practicing a tiny bit of Warcraft, just to maintain my skills a little. It doesn't really help when I can't play on Battle.net. So all we do is play against pathetic AIs. However, I must say I was surprised when we (Kok and I) beat 3 Insane computers the other day. For those of you who wonder how computers can be insane, do not worry. These is geekspeak.

Another major event of my summer holidays is the Penang Chess League. It's an annual chess league held in KDU Penang and about 40 teams take part every year. The team event consists of 3 playing boards and 1 reserve. My team comprises veteran national player Chuah Heng Meng, former MSSM Champion Lim Cheng Teik, former state player Chan Kean Sheung and myself. We are once again, the top seeds of the tournament.

So far, after 4 rounds of play, we have lived up to our top billing by scoring 11.5 points out of a possible 12. This is an amazing feat as we managed to beat the Mind Chess Enterprise Tutors who had the likes of Khai Boon, Swee Leong and Ing Kiat, by a score of 3-0. Furthermore, in the next round, we also managed to beat PACL A in a convincing fashion by a score of 2.5-0.5. Hong Ghee, the unbeatable player from PACL drew with our first board, Heng Meng, while Cheng Teik and I managed to beat our opponents: Wong Kam Loong and Choong Yit Chuan respectively. Wong Kam Loong was a state player while Choong Yit Chuan was once a National Champion.

With 11.5 points after 4 rounds, the Old Frees ++ are leading by 2.5 points, a huge margin considering we are only halfway through the tournament. This Sunday, we are paired against PACL B, who are probably out to avenge the defeat of their A team. Hopefully, we don't get too cocky and I hope we can at least maintain our lead but ideally, we would like to win 3-0 to show our domination. *I am getting cocky ain't I?*

Oh well, this is pretty much it for now. I will update you people on how the tournament goes and tell you more about my job in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment